For our second Sprint in my Software Development Capstone we continued to set up our local computers so that we could work on OpenMRS and the AMPATH software. To do this, we first went to the OpenMRS Download Page and downloaded the OpenMRS Standalone version. Once that was downloaded onto my computer, I simply extracted the zip file and then ran the .jar file that was in the there to start the OpenMRS software (for this I also picked the demo data version that comes with 5,000 sample patients). Some people had issues that this point, but I was lucky that this worked right from the start for me so I didn’t have any modifications to make.

Once I had OpenMRS running, I then cloned the repository containing the Ampath Point of Care System Version 2 that one of my team members forked from AMPATH. To get this up and running I first had to download all the dependencies that they required. I first went and downloaded the newest version of Node.js from their website (for me that was the Windows 64-bit of LTS). Once that was working, I then downloaded the list of gloabals with npm install –global:

  • webpack (npm install –global webpack)
  • webpack-dev-server (npm install –global webpack-dev-server)
  • karma (npm install –global karma-cli)
  • protractor (npm install –global protractor)
  • typescript (npm install –global typescript)

Once all of that was installed, I finished up the rest of the installation by doing these last three steps:

  • npm install webpack-dev-server rimraf webpack -g to install required global dependencies
  • npm install to install all dependencies
  • npm run server to start the dev server in another tab

At first when I ran “npm install” it seemed to give me a list of issues, but when I ran the server everything seemed to work fine and I was able to get to the login screen.

With that completed, our team then set off to work on re-writing the Authentication Module in the AMPATH software and see if we could get it to work (basically just familiarizing ourselves with the software and Angular 2). Our team first put this up as one whole task that need to be completed, but after going through it, we decided to have a story time to break down this task into smaller ones. At this meeting we also decided on what our meaning of “Done” was. Since this was all done closer to the end of our Sprint (due to an excessive amount of snowstorms), our team was only able to do the very beginning of this project. We all start first on going over the login HTML and CSS. Since it’s been at least 4 years since the last time I wrote anything for HTML or CSS (not including what I did for the tour of heroes tutorial), I just put their code next to mine and copied it so I got a feel and could see what they were doing to create the login screen. The last thing that we got to do before the end of our Sprint this time was look over the authentication.module.ts and its dependencies to get a feel for how it works.

During our Sprint review/retrospective we decided to put the rest of the re-writing of the Authentication Module on our backlog and get to it next Sprint. Overall I think that this Sprint went really well, with the exception of how late we got to our story time, but that was all because of storms cancelling our time together and messing up our schedule. Another thing that I found really useful was one of my teammates saw that Scotch.io had a good chuck of their Routing Angular 2 Apps class free to watch. I ended up watching the first couple of videos and found it very helpful, and I will probably finish watching the rest of them over the weekend.

Advertisements