In the second week of my Software Development Capstone course, we continued on preparations for our team that would help us work on the project. The first thing that we started to do was setup a Trello account for each team member and link the board to our Slack group. This allowed us to then setup Trello so that the team could easily keep up on what everyone was doing in the current Sprint. We made it so our board had lists for “Product Backlog”, “Sprint Backlog”, “Doing”, “Done”, and “Archived Cards”. I found that working with Trello was really easy and quite intuitive for what we were using it for. Once we start the project, everyone will simply just make a card that states what they are doing in the Sprint, and then move it to the appropriate place to indicate how they are doing with it. They can even make check boxes to section out what the task involves and show how their progress is going.

After doing that, each team was instructed to go to the OpenMRS website and create an OpenMRS ID – which I had already done the first week. Once that was finished, we had to then make a short introduction post on the OpenMRS boards saying where we were from, and why were we working with OpenMRS.

The next thing that was on the list was partially setting up our environment so that we could work with Angular 2. It was suggested that Webstorm from JetBrains would work best for what we were going to be doing. After downloading that and playing around for a bit- I was familiar with IntelliJ so I didn’t spend too much time doing this – I found that several people also used PhpStorm and Atom. I decided to download them as well to look into them and see which of the three I would prefer to use for the rest of the project.

The last item that we did for the week was the (simple) tutorial found here. For the most part this tutorial was informative. I was able to understand basics of Angular pretty easily; like the syntax, different imports in Angular, how to do two-way binding, and how to make displays in Angular. However when it came to how to use Promises for data services, the basics of routing, and how to use HTTP services, this tutorial wasn’t great. There would be multiple times where I needed to look that their completed version to see where I needed to make the changes to my tutorial code because they were unclear where the lines went. Sometimes I would even have the exact same code as their working example, but mine would not show. In the end, I decided to just read what they had for the tutorial and look at how it was coded in their working example so that I understood it and didn’t confuse myself further. I think, if I were to do this again, I would just make the tutorial locally and not use the online editor they provided so that I know where the problem is.

Advertisements